Mileage & Fuel Expenses for University Travel

To get reimbursed for fuel and mileage expenses, travelers on University business should:

  • Submit a claim for fuel when a University-owned vehicle or rental car is driven.
  • Submit a claim for mileage when a personal vehicle is driven.

    The costs of fuel and wear-and-tear on the vehicle are incorporated into the mileage rates.

Various rates apply for fuel reimbursement for vehicles driven for University travel, as shown below. Current rates are available in UC Business and Finance Bulletin G-28. These rates change frequently, so refer to this policy immediately before your trip for the latest figures.

Employee-Owned Automobiles




When private cars are used on University business, the employee must certify that the vehicle has the minimum liability coverage prescribed by UC Policy G-28:
  • $50,000 for personal injury to, or death of, one person.
  • $100,000 for injury to, or death of, two or more persons in one accident.
  • $50,000 for property damage.
Physically Disabled, Operating Specifically Equipped Vehicles Such travel will be reimbursed at the standard mileage rate for employee-owned vehicles.
Privately Owned Aircraft Mileage should be computed on the basis of the shortest air route from origin to destination. Actual landing and parking fees can be reimbursed.