Skip to Main Content

Transportation Guidelines

The following transportation expenses are examples of those that are reimbursable by the University:

  • Airline tickets
  • Taxi and other ground transportation fares
  • Car rentals
  • Private car mileage
  • Emergency repairs to University vehicles
  • Parking fees and tolls

General Guidelines

When traveling on behalf of the University, travelers are required to use the most economical mode of transportation by the most frequently traveled route. Original receipts are required for expenditures of $75 or more with the exception of airline tickets and rental cars, which require an original, itemized receipt, regardless of amount.

The cost of airfare as well as additional lodging, car rental, meals and incidental expenses is reimbursable when a traveler extends a trip (for example, for a Saturday night stay) to save the University money provided such expenses do not exceed what the University would have paid had the trip not been extended. 

The following table provides further guidelines for each type of transportation:

Air Travel

University travelers should use coach/economy or equivalent fare when available and are encouraged to take advantage of discounts on air tickets purchased in advance.

Ticketless airfare (e-tickets) will be reimbursed when an original itinerary or confirmation is submitted in support of an Express or Travel Expense Voucher. The itinerary/confirmation must indicate the form of payment.

Airfare will not be reimbursed in advance of a trip. Departments are encouraged to book air travel through the UC Travel Center's Connexxus Portal to avoid out-of-pocket expenses for travelers.

Privately Owned Automobile

You may use your private automobile for University travel if you carry sufficient insurance to satisfy legal state financial responsibility. See Travel-Related Insurance for guidelines.  

When used on routes served by a common carrier, the amount of actual mileage or the lowest available airfare (or its equivalent, plus the cost of conventional terminal transportation) is allowed (whichever is less). Meal and lodging reimbursements for these trips are limited to the amounts that would have been expended for the same trip by public transportation.

When a privately owned automobile operated by a University employee in the course of conducting University business is damaged, reimbursement for repair expenses borne by the employee up to $500 may be allowed. Expenses recoverable from insurance coverage are not allowable. Claims for reimbursement of the cost of accidental damage must be filed with the employee's insurance carrier before reimbursement is requested from the University under this provision.

Rental Automobiles

Travelers are expected to use the University's preferred rental car vendors and request the UCLA contract rate. See UCLA Discounts and Contract Rates for more information. 

Do not accept additional collision, accidental death or medical insurance when renting a car; this coverage is included free of charge in the UCLA contract rate and therefore additional coverage will not be reimbursed if purchased from the car rental company.

Travelers must pay the rental charges and then request reimbursement from the University, as the University does not accept direct billing, direct credit or guarantee payment rental agencies at this time. Itemized receipts must be submitted with your Express.


Local transportation charges (such as bus, streetcar, taxi or train) are allowable. Receipts are not needed if the amount is under $75.

Transportation expenses for privately owned motorcycles or motor-driven cycles will not be reimbursed.